Wednesday, June 4, 2008

That's a capital "T" that rhymes with "P" that stands for pool!

We just bought a pool table. It had been our intention to get one as soon as we moved into our house 2 years ago. The house has a converted garage/rec-room just crying out for some sort of recreational something. The table flips to an air hockey table on the reverse side, and has been a temptation since I first laid eyes on it in December of 2006. Although there are more worth-while things we could have done with the money, a red clearance tag was irresistible after waiting so long for the purchase.

The girls love it. Bill loves it. I love it too. The question is, was this a necessary purchase? I don't think so, and therein lies the guilt. Whenever I play pool or air hockey on the table, I feel I don't have the right to enjoy it. What is that all about?

Guilt is the main factor in my life. I am fairly convinced that without guilt, I would have no motivation whatsoever. I see a hypothetical guilt-free me in my minds eye, lying around shamelessly eating Godiva chocolate, drinking Starbucks mocha frappuccinos (double blended), while occasionally checking my facebook account for news of my friends far and near. I would probably stay on the phone for days at a time, and read book after book on my "must read" list. There's no way I'd be working full-time. We'd eat out every night, and my kitchen would never be put to use. I know for a fact, I'd also be enjoying that pool and air hockey table.

No comments: